Tuesday 24 February 2015

Sangie’s jump into cheaters sequel

Sangie is the name that is lately on the lips of many. In June last year she did a track ‘I do it all for Love’ which has hit the airwaves as both an audio track and a musical video.

Of course it is a rhythm pronounced ‘Riddim’ created in 2012 by Foxxy at Step Up Records studio but she has bolstered it with her composition which is a reggae track that is in between the borders of Lovers’ Rock and non-hardcore dancehall.

Real name Angel Mbekeani, Sangie at 20 has managed to carve her place amongst the established artists, not in Malawi alone but also in Jamaica. 

This is what I mean: When you listen to her track you realise its a sequel of an issue that was first started by Christopher Martin when he released a single ‘Cheaters Prayer’ in August 2011.
In November the same year Ce'celie released ‘Cheater’s Prayer Counteraction’ in reaction to Martin’s hit single.
Now when you check the lyrics you will understand why Sangie’s can be lined up as the two tracks by the Jamaican stars is also one to be taken seriously.
For example Martin sings: “Oh Lord, don't let me cheat on my girlfriend, cause as far as I can see, She loves only me.
Oh Lord, don't let me cheat on my girlfriend, but Lord if you can't stop me from cheating, just don't let me get caught.”
In response Ce'celie sang back:
“Lord I don't wanna cheat on my boyfriend
But as far as I can see he's cheating on me
Lord I don't wanna cheat on my boyfriend
But lord since you can't stop him from cheating
wait til him left di yard, is a next man a come in yah.”
But while these two are trying to compete, where Ce'celie tries to cheat back on Martin for our Malawian voice through Sangie its a different case she sings:

“Oh Lord, don’t let me catch my boyfriend cheating instead make him stop because I am not leaving... Because I do it all for Love.”
It is a revelation that gives a fresh air to contributions from our ladies towards the development of our secular productions. The challenge is that the moment we start looking at our music with a spectacle Published on Jun 25, 2014.

“I do it all for love” audio was recorded at Mtanda Media produced by Sispence instrumental programmed but the Video was shot and directed by Lion Soldier and was edited by Platinum at Black Flames Edutainment.

But when you consider all the matters, it is clear that Sangie has not ashamed us by challenging with her part in the sequel as she has done it wonderfully well.

It is a revelation that gives a fresh air to contributions from our ladies towards the development of our secular productions. The challenge is that the moment we start looking at our music with such a spectacle, we blur the picture completely.

I have asked before that if you were to point out at a legendary lady musician in the country, who is into secular music, would you do that at the drop of a hat?
I would really be surprised if that were to be the case. Over a period of time if at all we have had lady musicians doing secular, then they would be a one album sort of artists.
I would not desire to go a yonder to give examples. I know you know Amina Tepatepa, Emma Masauko, Wendy Harawa, Maria Chidzanja Nkhoma, and Beatrice Kamwendo as some of the names that have hogged the limelight and then either disappeared completely and got stuck in the peripherals.
It is so bad that most of the women musicians are dominating the gospel arena where they survive by the faith of such religious following other than sheer talent and creativity.
There are very few names within the gospel cycles like Grace Chinga and Ethel Kamwendo Banda and of course Favoured Sisters and the Chitheka Family who are musicians by talent first and playing gospel as a contribution of their talent towards the work of God.
Sangie now comes to answer my question: Seriously, do we have a Malawi female musician worth mentioning?

 

No comments:

Suffix & Faith show Boldness in tackling tribalism

The timing to issue the song Yobwata by Suffix and Faith Mussa would not have come at the right time considering that this is voting time a...